Making Documentation Better

Yes, for the most part I think programmers disdain writing documentation. I do agree in part that experience and skill play a part in this @jzakiya, however in the end it is still related to time. It’s easy to spent loads of time doing what you enjoy and are good at. If you aren’t good at or don’t enjoy writing documentation you won’t want to do it.

I personally enjoy writing good documentation. However, I don’t usually spend too much time on it unless the bit of code is really complicated and I’ll forget it soon, or I’m satisfied that the implementation is complete. So it makes sense to me that sections of the documentation will be sparse until things are solidified. It’s a little annoying from the third party’s perspective, but I appreciate the choice in focusing on the code for now since this is still basically beta software.

Once we reach 1.0 however, I think care should be taken to keep the docs up to date for each subsequent release. Because at that point people will expect (rightfully so I think) production ready code to have production ready documentation.

1 Like