Ban users that are hostile and destructive to the community

Hello project maintainer/community members

This may come off as harsh or over-the-top, but I’ve been trying to push this for a week while an abusive user has been posting constantly. Instead of them being banned or posts hidden, my posts have been hidden as off-topic for asking for someone to do something!

Something needs to be fixed here. We have to ask ourselves, “what kind of community do we want?” One where abusive and destructive behavior is allowed because “its on topic” and posts asking for something to be done are hidden?

I realize not all mods have seen this behavior, everyone has been busy, so I am not trying to call out anyone in particular, I just hope that I can bring attn to this issue so something can be done

Preface

The Code of Conduct states:

Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment include:

• Using welcoming and inclusive language (def not happening)
  • Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences (def not happening)
  • Gracefully accepting constructive criticism (def not happening)
  • Focusing on what is best for the community (def not happening)
  • Showing empathy towards other community members (def not happening)

Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:

• Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks
  • Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting

It also states:

Project maintainers are responsible for clarifying the standards of acceptable behavior and are expected to take appropriate and fair corrective action in response to any instances of unacceptable behavior

Project maintainers have the right and responsibility… to ban temporarily or permanently any contributor for other behaviors that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.

Do I even need to say who needs to be banned?

It’s baffling to me that my posts asking for this person to be banned are hidden but the posts with destructive behavior are still visibl throughout the forum

What kind of precedent is this? Why even have a code of conduct if hiding off topic comments is hidden faster than a destructive and abusive one?

Call to action

Ban @IEatReturnValues4. Just about everything he posts is mean, trolling, condescending and is actively pushing out users from our community

He has demonstrated no desire to change and actively insults people that ask him to change.

Please, for the good of the community, ban him OR rewrite the code of conduct to be far more lenient so at least is it clear this type of behavior is ok

Example posts

Hoenstly, just search for anything IEatReturnValues4 has posted and you have a 99% chance of finding something but here are a few gems:

Someone posts a new lib! Awesome! Until @IEatReturnValues4 shuts everyone down:

Just what people love to here! Why even build that? How stupid are you?

Or this massive post that went off the rails, in large part due to his destructive attitude and inability to communicate kind or effectively:

How many instances of this happen to happen before he is banned?

3 Likes

Going to cc people who I think have permissions to do this if they decide it is a good idea

@straight-shoota @bcardiff @RX14

For your information, the user is silenced now.

5 Likes

I just found that the best weapon in this case is just to ignore.

As ancient Latins said: “Ignoramus ignorable” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like that quote; also kinda reminds me of some of the quotes from Edmund Burke, like on here: https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/17142.Edmund_Burke

1 Like

I think that ignoring is not the best weapon against a bully.

I saw a post where @IEatReturnValues4 gave a terrible welcome to a new user in the forum

1 Like