Build a crystal program statically

Hello, today for a special need, I need to build my crystal program statically.

But I have this error, and I don’t know how to fix it.

I have this error in my manjaro virtual machine:

   ~/ism1    master !2 ?5    crystal build Main.cr --static -o ism                                      ✔ 
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgc (this usually means you need to install the development package for libgc): No such file or directory
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -levent (this usually means you need to install the development package for libevent): No such file or directory
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Error: execution of command failed with code: 1: `cc "${@}" -o /home/zohran/ism1/ism  -rdynamic -static -L/usr/bin/../lib/crystal -lm -lgc -lpthread -levent -lrt -lpthread -ldl`

The problem is, there isn’t any dev package for that, or I didn’t found it.

I have a similar error on my main system, gentoo:

zohran@alienware-m17-r3 ~/Documents/Programmation/ISM $ crystal build Main.cr --static -o ism
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/12/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lpcre (this usually means you need to install the development package for libpcre): No such file or directory
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Error: execution of command failed with code: 1: `cc "${@}" -o /home/zohran/Documents/Programmation/ISM/ism  -rdynamic -static -L/usr/bin/../lib/crystal -lpcre -lm -lgc -lpthread -levent  -lrt -lpthread -ldl`
[ble: exit 1]

See Static Linking - Crystal.

tl;dr the easiest way to is use alpine linux via docker as it uses musl libc which plays better with static linking.

Check my github action for how build static for linux and for mac.

@zw963 Oh, nice… Have you considered making it a public action like GitHub - goreleaser/goreleaser-action: GitHub Action for GoReleaser?