Crystal-pg arm64 openssl

I’m trying to connect a PostgreSQL database to my Kemal app but when I try to run crystal run src/app.cr I get the following error message

Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:
  "_EVP_MD_size", referenced from:
      _*OpenSSL::Digest#digest_size:Int32 in O-penS-S-L-5858D-igest.o
      _*Digest::MD5@OpenSSL::Digest#digest_size:Int32 in D-igest5858M-D-5.o
  "_SSL_get_peer_certificate", referenced from:
      _*OpenSSL::SSL::Socket::Client@OpenSSL::SSL::Socket#peer_certificate:(OpenSSL::X509::Certificate | Nil) in O-penS-S-L-5858S-S-L-5858S-ocket5858C-lient.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

I installed Crystal with brew install crystal and then I ran brew install openssl.

I have no idea what to do to fix this and it does not really seem to be a solution found on Google (at least I have not been able to find any).

# crystal -v
Crystal 1.7.3 (2023-03-07)

LLVM: 14.0.6
Default target: aarch64-apple-darwin22.2.0
# crystal env
CRYSTAL_CACHE_DIR=$HOME/.cache/crystal
CRYSTAL_PATH=lib:/opt/homebrew/Cellar/crystal/1.7.3/libexec/../share/crystal/src
CRYSTAL_VERSION=1.7.3
CRYSTAL_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/homebrew/Cellar/crystal/1.7.3/libexec/../../../../lib
CRYSTAL_OPTS=''
# simplified app.cr
require "db"
require "pg"
require "kemal"

DB.open "postgres://postgres:postgres@127.0.0.1:5432/mailbox_locator" do |db|
  db.exec <<-SQL
    CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS mailboxes (
    );
  SQL
end

get "/" do
  # ...
  render "src/views/index.ecr"
end

Kemal.run

I think you just need openssl@1.1.

$ brew install openssl@1.1
==> Downloading https://formulae.brew.sh/api/formula.jws.json
######################################################################## 100.0%
Warning: openssl@1.1 1.1.1t is already installed and up-to-date.
To reinstall 1.1.1t, run:
  brew reinstall openssl@1.1

looks like I already have it but I know I have openssl@3 too because I did run brew install openssl@3 the other day and I have export PATH="/opt/homebrew/opt/openssl@3/bin:$PATH" in my .zshrc file.

Try export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="${PKG_CONFIG_PATH:+$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:}/opt/homebrew/opt/openssl@1.1/lib/pkgconfig this part tho. To ensure pkg-config is able to find openssl@1.1 libs.

$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="${PKG_CONFIG_PATH:+$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:}/opt/homebrew/opt/openssl@1.1/lib/pkgconfig"
$ crystal run src/app.cr

resulted in the same error

What about export CRYSTAL_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/homebrew/lib:/usr/lib?

(Basically just suggesting things from that SO post as it seems to be basically what you’re running into)

Same error. I did see this post on SO earlier and I already tried all their suggestions as it was basically the only thing I could find where this error was mentioned.

1 Like

Hmm well dang. I know this error usually relates to pkg-config/the linker not being able to find the proper libs. Unfortunately I don’t have an M1 mac to help test. My hunch is that it still has something to do with CRYSTAL_LIBRARY_PATH and/or PKG_CONFIG_PATH and needing to get them to find the right thing. But maybe someone who actually has an M1 will have a better idea.

Really appreciate your help :slight_smile:

I did try to setup Jekyll the other day to run kemalcr.com locally and I got a lot of openssl.h is missing error. I found this answer ruby - Can't install Jekyll - "fatal error: 'openssl/ssl.h' file not found" - Stack Overflow and ran some of the commands (it did not work btw :sweat_smile: ) - now I’m wondering if any of these commands could have changed something on my machine that now results in the error I’m facing now? :thinking:

Maybe remove all versions except 1.1? Theroetically the brew package should already be setting up the library path right?