How to add sql3 to crystal, step by step

As a total newcomer to Crystal I have trouble doing some (basic?) things. I have gone through basic drills (syntax, etc.) and now I’d like to try some ‘real life’ coding. Before I do that, I have to figure out how to prepare my tools to do that. Instructions are very cryptic and it’d be a while until I’ll be better oriented to find the needed info. Right now I need some handholding on how to use Crystal-sqlite3, i.e: how and where to install the shard(?) . Where to put the needed .yaml. Is there anything else I have to do?

• Create a project directory and cd to that directory.

• Run shards init in that directory. It creates a file called shard.yml

• Open shard.yml and add sqlite dependency(As shown in the commented example in the same file)

dependencies:
      sqlite3:
        github: crystal-lang/crystal-sqlite3

• Now run shards install to install the dependencies.

• Now create the source file under src directory. Example: src/main.cr

• If it is a binary app, add targets to shard.yml. Example:

targets:
      my-app:
        main: src/main.cr

• Once you write the code, run shards build then it will create the binary my-app under bin directory in the same project directory.

• If no targets added then execute the files directly under src directory. Example: crystal run src/main.cr or crystal run src/example.cr or crystal build src/main.cr

4 Likes

Thanks for the help. As with every fresh start, it’s lots of new info and hard to get started yourself until you gain some orientation. Especially at my age (72)

1 Like