Poll: do you use `--error-trace` command line option?

Hi! :wave:

I’d like to gather some stats about the usage of the --error-trace command line option. Specifically, which one describes you best?

• I never use --error-trace, I always understand errors without it
  • I use --error-trace when I don’t understand an error, and that’s fine with me
  • I use --error-trace when I don’t understand an error, and that annoys me (I would prefer this to be always on)
  • I always compile my programs with --error-trace

0 voters

Thank you!

I’m missing an option: I use --error-trace when I don’t understand an error, and that annoys me (but I prefer it to be not always on).

8 Likes

This what I would have voted for is that was an option. Voted for this one instead as best close option:

I use --error-trace when I don’t understand an error, and that’s fine with me

1 Like

To clarify, though I’m in the “I wish it was always on” group, is there a hoped-for change implied by this option? That is, is there a different way it could work that would satisfy you without being annoying? I’m assuming this poll might be used to motivate changes, so if you have any idea of what change(s) might be good (or even if you don’t but you’re interested in exploring ideas), I’m very interested to know what change(s) would work.

1 Like

See Nicer compile error messages by asterite · Pull Request #11756 · crystal-lang/crystal · GitHub

That’s what I’d like the default to be.

3 Likes

I think you would have been better off creating a poll asking if people want that specific change to the current behaviour rather than the current poll.

I voted “I use --error-trace when I don’t understand an error, and that’s fine with me” because it works fine for me, but I am equally fine with it being on by default. I don’t have any strong opinion about it.

1 Like

I frequently use --error-trace when debugging macro expansion issues with spectator. Frequently the issue is an unknown method ends up being called within let(...) { } or subject { }, which then expands several times.