Rename `Object#try(&block)` to `Object#not_nil?(&block)`

#try(&block)'s use case, currently, is to do something only if the object is not nil. To that end, #not_nil?(&block) seems to me to be more a more intuitive name.

We already have #not_nil! and #nil?. So we could add #not_nil? which would be the inverse of #nil?, and #not_nil?(&block) as a replacement for #try(&block):

class Object
  # ...
  def not_nil?
    !nil?
  end
  # ...
  def not_nil?
    yield self
  end
  # ...
end

struct Nil
  # ...
  def not_nil?(&block)
    self
  end
  # ...
end

Maybe itā€™s just me, but in the face of the nils and not nils, try seems to be the odd one out.

Of course, this means breaking changes and more work; I donā€™t know if itā€™s worth it?

Related?: #6600

I donā€™t think a rename is worth it at this point. This will cause a massive breaking change for no good reason.

By the way, we copied the try name from ActiveSupport: https://guides.rubyonrails.org/active_support_core_extensions.html#try

1 Like

Also, Object#not_nil?(&block) looks like a method that returns a boolean, not a method that returns the result of the block (or nil). For example, 1.try { |n| n + 2 } returns 3, not true or 1 (to return 1, youā€™d use Object#tap).

Object#not_nil? is like asking the Object ā€œis it not nil?ā€ which should return a boolean type.

2 Likes

Cc: @andraantariksa

Thatā€™s not definite. There are methods in the standard library with a ? suffix that return a nilable value, not a boolean. A few examples:

• Enumerable#[]?
  • Enumerable#max?
  • Enumerable#min?

The general conventions seems to be that a ? suffix is used for methods that return a boolean, but also for ones that return a nilable object.

1 Like

Thatā€™s understandable. However, this came to mind whenever Iā€™ve had to call a #try, so I thought I should bring it up.