Petition to release Crystal 0.36 soon

a 0.99.0 will be good.

This is a good opportunity to define a release procedure. For some time I was looking at some sort of a release plan. All I see right now is a Milestone in GitHub without any deadline, in which sometimes some issues are added. Would be nice to be able to see a set of feature release at a given interval. I personally don’t really care if the version is called 1.0.0 of 0.36.0, I care about accessing the features/fixes in a determined way.

I just don’t think that’s possible. Or maybe it is with a lot more money donated.

The way things work right now is: Manas gets donation money. That money is spent by working on the language. When they run out of money allocated for the project, they can’t work on it anymore (who is going to pay for that extra work). So let’s say there’s a very important bug that needs to be fixed, or LLVM is upgraded to version 11 and introduces a lot of breaking changes, and LLVM 11 is used everywhere. Those things have to be fixed, and they aren’t easy to estimate.

Would you rather have Manas spend that budget releasing blog posts or working on a plan, or actually working on language stuff? I personally prefer the latter.

5 Likes

Ok, so there’s no release cycle? How do you determine versions then?

Others do it like this:

Versions follow Semantic Version. No breaking change is a minor release. A breaking change is a major release.

Also, what’s the release process for Ruby, Rails or Rubocop? I can’t find those (maybe it’s just me).

Crystal doesn’t have a stable release yet. 0.x releases have usually been cut when there was a reasonable amount of new features over the previous one.

Right now there are not any more sophisticated plans for the future, but I’d expect that once 1.0 is reached, there will be more detailed plans for release cycles. It’s just not on the table yet.

2 Likes

Cannot find any reference to a specific release schedule. But you can check the release dates to infer a pattern they pretty much use the same approach: dev->preview->rc->stable

I do not think this is necessary. A release is a cut, it happens whenever the core team feels like it makes sense.

No idea what the process is, but Ruby releases minor or major versions in December.

I said that since that is the thing that the large folks need. I for one need 0.36.0 delivered. I said it ordinarily as of now.