Upcoming Crystal 1.5 Release

The next Crystal 1.5 release is scheduled for July 6.

As usual, this is precluded by a two-weeks freeze period starting tomorrow June 22 (does time fly or what!?). We’ll be using this time to consolidate the release and only bug fixes will be merged. We appreciate any report of regressions caused by our latest nightly builds.

EDIT:
The current HEAD of that branch serves as a preview of the release. You can obtain pre-release builds from current nightlies or build directly from master.

Nightly builds are available from these locations:

Nightlies can also be easily used in GitHub Actions with tha install-crystal action.

8 Likes

I am using 1.5.0dev for a while, though, i real don’t know what is the news from 1.4.1

is the Object#not_nil! is new added in 1.5?

No? That method was added ages ago starting in like version 0.1.0.

but, i don’t remember see document for this?

Looks like it’s not documented in the book; only in the API docs: Object - Crystal 1.4.1.

1 Like

The release announcement will have all that, but in the meantime you can browse the commit log from 1.4.1...master.

1 Like

Yes, Should we add this into somewhere in our document?

Hi, what is the name of branch 1.5 release? i want to do test on it.

Current master branch get many many warning like this even
i just run a file which it content only puts 100.

so, how can i use 1.5 ? i never see any branch name or tag use this.

Sorry for being scarce on information. We should be more elaborate about the process and guide users to the right places.

The 1.5.0 release will tagged from the master on July 6. The current HEAD of that branch serves as a preview of the release.
You can obtain pre-release builds from current nightlies or build directly from master.

Nightly builds are available from these locations:

Nightlies can also be easily used in GitHub Actions with tha install-crystal action.

3 Likes

Those warnings were only recently introduced in Warn on positional parameter mismatches for abstract def implementations by HertzDevil · Pull Request #11915 · crystal-lang/crystal · GitHub. We’ll need to clean that up in stdlib before the release.

2 Likes

@zw963 The warnings you see from stdlib appear to be caused by using an older version of the stdlib which does not include the patch #11915 together with a compiler version that includes that patch. Thus you get the warnings from the compiler, but the stdlib has not been adjusted for that. Please pull the latest stdlib and the warnings should go away.

Yes, it is my fault, i am not update my stdlib successful because some (bash) script error, i used it for build from source directly, i fixed it anyway. :rofl: