Jeremy Woertink

Hey all, my name is Jeremy and I use Crystal in production.

I started programming in 2006 after being in the music industry for a while. My first language was Ruby, and since then I’ve gone on to work for companies using PHP, VB NET, C#, and back to Ruby. I was also an instructor for a dev bootcamp in Utah called DevPoint Labs. I now live in Las Vegas working for an adult media company where most of our applications are written in rails, but are slowly being rolled over in to crystal.

I also have a side project called Namechk.com where you can look up your username handle across all the different social media sites. That’s currently in rails, but I’d love to move to crystal once a few things are added in.

Some questions I get often about my crystal in production usage…

• Yes the sites are public facing, and no I can’t really post links anywhere.
  • The apps currently handle a few hundred thousand people a day with up to a few million members.
  • We deploy to Elastic Beanstalk on AWS using docker.
  • Moving from rails to a crystal stack has saved us money (though, not fully sure on how much just yet). (e.g. our sites used to go down once a week or so, and now have been running for over a month with no issues on smaller machines.

I’m in the gitter rooms pretty often, so feel free to ask other questions, or shoot me a DM if you want to know more.

6 Likes