The Crystal Programming Language Forum

Looking for data scientists (or anyone) interested in using Crystal

I’ve been having a blast learning crystal, and I would love to have actively maintained data science tools written in crystal. I am looking for people to help me with that task.

There are a couple libraries that do basic calculations, but none seem to be active.

Primary short term goals:

• Maintain a data visualization library written in crystal (aquaplot)
  • Create a library to handle data analysis on one dimensional data (similar to a pandas Series, or an R vector), backed with LAPACK / BLAS
  • Extend the library to handle analysis on two dimensional data

My primary limitation right now is that I am still learning the internals of the language, so even if you aren’t interested in the more dense scientific computing, but would help with code review / refactoring, I would love all the help I can get!

2 Likes

Hi, very nice goals! I’m personally not really interested in the scientific side, but I always love seeing nice graphics :stuck_out_tongue:

I (and many other people here in the forum and in the gitter/IRC chat) can also help with reviewing!

I’d suggest making a separate post asking for review, to avoid many unrelated messages about your code and “hiding” relevant reply to your “call-to-data-scientists”…

If you make a separate post, I’ll move the following :point_down: to it to cleanup this thread!

A quick look at a file led me to https://github.com/crystal-data/aquaplot/blob/1fd38eb23cf513dd7554ab3f6207a8c7ce13cd41/src/plot/base.cr where you do:

class Foo
  property some_field : TheType
  # ...

# Then a manual getter and setter
  def get_some_field
    # get the public value for @some_field
    @some_field.some_internal_value
  end

def set_some_field(@some_field)
  end
end

This can be simplified to:

class Foo
  @some_field : TheType
  # ...

# Then a manual getter and setter
  def some_field
    # get the value for @some_field with some operation...
  end

def some_field=(@some_field)
  end
  # or simply
  setter some_field
  # (the `setter` macro will roughly generate the method `some_field=` like above)
end

# Then to use in a subclass:
class Bar < Foo
  def some_method
    value = self.some_field # call the getter
    self.some_field = value + 1 # call the setter (the method `some_field=(arg)`)
  end
end

You don’t need the property, because it is a macro that generates a getter and a setter that you don’t use, see the documentation for more info on that: https://crystal-lang.org/api/latest/Object.html#property(*names,&block)-macro

Edit:
You could even simplify more (thanks @Blacksmoke16 for pointing it out in gitter chat), using another form of the setter macro:

class Foo
  setter some_field : TheType

def some_field
  end
end

The line setter some_field : TheType will basically generate the following code:

@some_field : TheType

def some_field=(@some_field : TheType)
end

More infos in the docs: https://crystal-lang.org/api/latest/Object.html#setter(*names)-macro

1 Like

A couple of years ago (time flies!) I toyed with a Crystal lib that bound to LAPACK and BLAS and provided some more idiomatic Crystal APIs on top of them. I didn’t have the time to maintain it though, but the preliminary results were promising (https://manas.tech/blog/2015/10/30/linear-algebra-in-crystal-from-lapack.html):

At least it might give you a head start or some ideas :). Feel free to fork or whatever!

1 Like

Phenomenal library. Definitely gives a great head start binding to BLAS and LAPACK. Thanks for linking!

1 Like

I would love to help you ! :)

I don’t know where to start, maybe create some issues on shards could helps.

1 Like

@alex-lairan thanks for the offer! I will start creating some issues that need attention. Just for my benefit, are you more interested in working on the charting library or the scientific computing library?

1 Like

Mostly on the scientific one.

Separate the post for review with data scientist