Raw Crystal 2020 online conference

I’m excited to announce that the Raw Crystal 2020 online conference will take place on Friday, 11 December 2020.

You’ll find all the information for both speakers and attendees here :arrow_heading_down:

Registrations will open on Thursday, 12 November 2020 and will be free for everyone.

We’ll be announcing keynote and featured speakers soon!

18 Likes

Thank you for organizing this! I’m sure it’s going to be a lot of fun.

I like the design of the logo and page in general. It reminds me of Yoshi’s Island :-)

Please use UTC dates/times to designate deadlines.
Saying registrations are due on X_day at 11:59 has no effective meaning unless you stipulate the exact reference timezone. We are a World Community after all.

This is especially relevant now that in the U.S., time has reverted back (in most states) to standard time from daylight savings times, so the same moment in time will have a different time reference.

So please be very explicit in designating deadline times.

5 Likes

Thanks Jabari, good catch! I’ve updated the call for speakers deadline to include the timezone :+1:

1 Like

Bit unfriendly timings to Indian users(IST), but happy to participate in this Crystal conference.

1 Like

Hey Aravinda, I appreciate that, it was painful to make a call on the timings.
I’m thinking if this goes well then we could work on an Asia timezones-friendly edition? :bulb:

1 Like

As an Australian working with a team of other (mainly Australian) crystal devs, yes please.

Yes, some Asia friendly times would be appreciated next time. Excited to participate!

Great :+1:

Please put a prominent notice at the top of the homepage about the event. Maybe even a countdown clock. Most people won’t know about it otherwise.

1 Like

@jzakiya Just note that:

1. This is not an official conference, so there’s no guarantee it will show up in the official page
  2. Spreading the word about this is probably more effective than a banner at the top of the homepage (I’m not sure how many people visit the main website)

I’m guess what I’m suggesting it be treated as a higher profile event.

Crystal needs to upgrade its public profile and outreach, especially on the cusp of 1.0.
In general, the webpage needs a major upgrade to make it the hub for info about Crystal, like with Python and Julia, as just two examples.

This has been brought up before, so I’m not going to rehash those (ongoing) discussions on how to grow the Crystal community and its use.

1 Like

There is an event section on the official community page (https://crystal-lang.org/community/).

I think that would fit the purpose in highlighting that this is a community-driven event while raising visibility :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Also just know that I said it’s not official, but it being the first one means it could almost be considered official, specially seeing how well @lbarasti is organizing it. So :+1: for giving it more visibility.

2 Likes

For those in other time zones, since the event will be recorded (I presume), should we consider having some sessions in different time zones? Kinda like a 24 hr conference [not necessarily continuous 24 hrs], spread across various time zones? Of course that would probably take more coordination and [co-]hosts and speakers/sessions. Some sessions could be repeats of previously recorded time zone session[s].

FYI a top banner in the site and info to the community event caledar were added

7 Likes

Now that’s what I’m talking about! :partying_face: :boom:

1 Like

Looks great!

I’ve signed myself up for the event and I’m actually pretty excited about it! Can’t wait to hear what everyone has to say.

I’ve been trying to think of ways to help expand Crystal’s reach. Doing meetups and conferences is a great idea. I’ve been trying to figure out if there may be any interest locally so I could set up some kind of local meetup/hacking group where we focus on Crystal. But, I live in a weird area. It’s not a small town by any stretch. But, there’s not much of a tech scene here. :frowning:

I’ve also been considering making some educational videos about Crystal. Something similar to https://gorails.com/ but on a smaller scale obviously. Don’t mean to hi-jack this thread, but if anyone is interested in collaborating, shoot me a message!

I was wondering : will the event be recorded and published on (for example) Youtube ? It would be great to being able to watch the conferences afterwards and having them available for future newcomers would be handful too.

1 Like

Hi pyrsmk: yes, the event will be recorded and talks will be published on YouTube and advertised via the event page.

In fact, one of the goals of the conference is to Build a collection of knowledge :books:

10 Likes