Hello Crystal people!

Hello everyone!

(First of all, sorry if my English is bad, I’m a Spanish native speaker).

I would like to introduce myself:
I’m 18 (almost 19), from Spain, a computer engineering student, and a beginner/intermediate programmer, with about 1-2 years of experience. I have started to get my programming skills since I started using Construct 2, a game developing software, because it let me programming without the need to learn any programming language. I have used other game dev software like Game Maker, but I think that my starting point was when I started to use C2.

Later I’ve discovered Lua and LÖVE library (a game dev library), and it was great. I used it for a year, in my free time. With Lua, I acquired excellent programming capabilities, and thanks to that I took almost perfect marks on Programming subjects on the University, which I have started in September 2018.

Thanks to having learned Java and C/C++ at the University I fell in love with OOP and static languages. But I did not like those languages at all, C++ because of pointers and it’s “rusty” syntax and syntax, and Java for things like no operator overloading (I’m a bit maniac). I have to spend weeks thinking and looking for a good language easy to learn, static and OO, to use on personal projects. One day I’ve searched for “favorite programming languages” on my browser, and I found someone whose favorite language was Crystal. I had never heard of that language, so I searched for it. When I saw the syntax I liked it a lot, and I was surprised that a static and compiled language could have that syntax. Now I’m learning Crystal.

I’m an enthusiast of programming languages and their syntax. If I love the syntax of a language, I love the language :sweat_smile:. My favorite syntax, for now, is Lua syntax, but maybe it can be Crystal/Ruby syntax when I have learned the language.

I do not have so much experience for it, but when I have learned the language I would like to contribute to it because is a fairly new language.

And here ends my introduction!

11 Likes

Welcome @sugiivy to the awesome world of Crystal :slight_smile:

I was a Lua lover too, coming from MicroLua & AwesomeWM, but as I was learning different languages I wanted to add types to Lua (spoiler: that didn’t worked very well…)

I hope you’ll be able to do something cool (and useful ?) with Crystal, and maybe later contribute to it!
Since everything is written in Crystal, reading the stdlib & the compiler helps a lot to understand how Crystal can be used (and even learn how to write a compiler! not the easiest one though)

3 Likes

Wow, I didn’t know about MicroLua, looks very interesting!
And yes, I would like to explore the language, know the API and code some cool and useful stuff! And learn how to write a compiler sounds very interesting. One day I would like to take a look to the famous dragon book or something similar :).

1 Like

Wow, I love Lua! Especially love2d, such a great game engine! If I wasn’t 10k+ lines deep in Godot, I’d be using it.

I’m exactly like you regarding C++, pointers, etc. That’s also a reason why I switched to crystal.
Very happy you found crystal, the developers of this language really care for its community members, and not only that, but everyone really cares for everyone else. There is no better time to join than now.

Welcome!

3 Likes

Seeing what you wish for, Crystal seems like just the language you’re searching for ─ welcome!

1 Like

hi everyone
my name is sam
im from canada

Welcome! Feel free to check out GitHub - sol-vin/raylib-cr: LibRaylib Bindings for Crystal. for a LOVE replacement. Raylib is fairly easy to use.

1 Like

Hello, I am not a professional, I am a hobbyst. I tried crystal and with a few of python and php knowledge I was able to remake in few hours a small app which precedently I made in golang (with days of trial and errors). I think crystal is very easy to learn for beginners. I am trying to find examples online because I am not so smart to get things done using only the official documentation. For now I have found this repository GitHub - askn/crystal-by-example: Crystal By Example

6 Likes

I guess it’s time to fork and update those code, i will do it later.

Hi @harrier77 , you can check some of the learning resources.

Hello again,
today I have tried Vlang, I coded the same application in a few hours. I used vweb as web server and I attached to it the same functions I have made in Crystal and Golang. I found Vlang documentation less easy than Crystal documentation and the executable file is 4,5 M in Vlang and 2,7 in Crystal. At the moment my first choice remains Crystal. The only argument against at now is that compiling in Crystal is slower than in vlang. And I did not try yet to compile the app for windows.

V, an really impressive language …

Just on the topic, i tried the same few lines with Nim, but I found a lot of problems. I don’t know why. The documentation is good, the code is easy to read, but I did not get what I was expecting to get. I think crystal is the more easy for a beginner like me.

1 Like