Introducing me :)

Hi everyone, I’m Nathaniel, currently I’m a full time student as well as a software engineer at the startup Universal Layer (we’re working on a cloud platform with managed services). I am a Rubyist however the promises of Crystal (C-like performance and static typing) have made me take the time to learn it and give the language a chance.

What I’m working on with Crystal:
As a starting out project in Crystal, I’m working on a shard called CrystalProxmox (https://github.com/ulayer/CrystalProxmox) as part of my work for Universal Layer. We have several Proxmox Hypervisors and are considering rewriting some of our management tools into Crystal (we currently use a monolithic Ruby on Rails webapp). Figuring out how types, type restrictions, and such working was a challenge but the reward of a statically typed implementation to generate an authentication ticket and send requests was awesome. I’m excited to see what I can do next with this language.

Goals:
By the end of Summer 2019, I want to have a solid grasp of the Crystal Programming Language. It’s been easy to pick up since I already know Ruby. I’ve played around a bit with the web framework Amber which looks nice.

If anyone has videos or books on Crystal they believe I should checkout please let me know and I’ll give it a look.

4 Likes

Welcome to the club =)

1 Like