Introducing myself

Hi! My name is Chris, you probably know me as RX14, and I’ve been a core team member since July 2017.

I found Crystal and joined IRC in August of 2015, started contributing in September, and contributed my first substantial PR in July 2016. I actually can’t remember how I found Crystal, probably through HN or searching the web. But I remember the first real thing I wrote in Crystal, just a few days after I joined IRC: fast_irc.cr. Using the language and seeing how close it was to ruby yet how fast it was got me hooked and the rest is history! I work mostly on the standard library, recently on the Windows port.

Outside of Crystal, I’m a university student at Bristol in the UK, studying Computer Science and Electronics. My hobbies include sysadminning my own servers, running the space society at uni, and amateur radio. I run Linux on my desktop, and enjoy learning about low-level topics.

If you want to grill me on myself or my opinions, please ask below :)

7 Likes

Hi Chris,

Seems like the Windows port is going well. Thanks for your help over the last year or so on Gitter ;)

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll try to get back working on it soon!

Chris it makes me deeply happy that people are still into ham radio (esp. uni students!). DE K2KD…I did the Novice->Extra run over a very nerdy year when I was in elementary school (in…gulp…1989) and other than the dusty Kenwood HF rig sitting in my parents’ house, haven’t really done much with it lately. But there’s a lot happening these days, especially with software-defined radio, and that seems super cool/promising.

What areas of the hobby are you most into?

I must admit, my rig has been dusty too the last few years. I mainly keep in touch with the hobby through my dad (who I got into radio) and through the local amateur radio club. I hope to do more with it in the future, but for now my life is pretty busy :/

Maybe you might be the one to help write the libsdr bindings for crystal! ;)

1 Like